« Home | Great trailer » | Bubba Ho-Tep » | Brick... » | The Science of Sleep » | Two fantastic documentaries that you might not be ... » | final word on memento... » | Memento... » | Welcome Me, and Crash » | me and you and everyone we know... » | the reasoning... »

Movies I've seen recently

I can't post about them all at length, but I thought I'd throw out a list of what I've watched over the last few months with very, very brief comments (Susan's comments in purple):
  • I [Heart] Huckabees - characteristically postmodern, a movie about nothingness but an entertaining flick nonetheless
  • Saved! - funny and too close to home at times but ultimately based on a narrow view of Christianity, the other side of the coin (the movie makes fun of Christians for being too narrow-minded, but the only way resolution is found is by turning their backs on at least some aspects of the faith, which is equally narrow-minded in an Opposites Day kind of way); The Breakfast Club with Jesus
  • Lost: Season 2 - weirder than the 1st season - I'm slowly losing interest
  • Art School Confidential - I didn't hate it, but it is more social commentary than anything; I think the writer has a bit of a chip on his shoulder; plenty of things that don't make sense, but the goal of the movie is obviously making a point rather than making a good movie
  • Hudsucker Proxy - enjoyed it, but not great
  • So I Married an Axe Murderer - love the Scottish dad and the poetry, can do without the rest, but it was Mike Meyers' first swipe at a flick, so I'll cut him some slack and watch it agian within the next 5 years; Heed! Pants! Now!
  • Grizzly Man - amazing movie! The subject was fascinating on its own, but the filmmaker did a wonderful job piecing together the footage and getting into Treadwell's head in a sympathetic yet objective way, and the music was good, too. If it were a poorly done movie on Treadwell, it would be good. If it were done this well but on a boring subject, it would be good. Fortunately, this was a combination of both.
  • Ray - painful because I love Ray Charles, but that's part of its charm, that you are drawn in on an emotional level and ride the highs and lows with Jamie Foxx. I love a movie that I can be emotionally involved with. And the music is fantastic as well - Foxx has a degree in classical piano. So, it's a keeper.
  • To Kill a Mockingbird - good movie, but I preferred the book - I wasn't as drawn into the movie as I was the book, on an emotional level.
  • Kingpin - a great, yet often nasty, movie. This is one of those comedies that has lines that I use on a regular basis because they are so damn funny. And I love Bill Murray, especially when he's a jerk (which seems to be his role in most of his recent films).
  • Broken Flowers - speaking of Bill Murray as a jerk, this is another one about the emptiness of life and being forever haunted by your actions (or inactions), but it's still worth watching, though not buying - just remember that it's not a Wes Anderson, even though at times it feels like it is.
  • Crash - do I have to do this again?
  • Donnie Darko - I can't tell you my true feelings because Jason won't be my friend any longer. Watch it, then call him so he can explain it to you.
  • Rushmore - I love Wes Anderson, even though this is my least favorite of his works.
  • Junebug - I hated it, personally. I hate movies that portray Southerners as stupid rednecks, where the only people who are worth a crap are the ones who leave the South. And I took it personally the inaccurate depection of Howard Finster - he was an amazing artist, obsessed with angels and not the nasty stuff that this guy was in to - don't drag Finster's image thru the mud, damn you.
  • Meet the Fockers - about like the first, predictable and unoriginal, like most main stream comedies (on tv and movies)
  • Fletch - one of my all time favorites - I LOVE Chevy Chase, and this movie inspired me to become a huge smartass; without it, a huge part of my personality would be missing. It's a rare mix between a comdey and drama where there's actually a little bit of drama/mystery. Great, great movie. You might have to take it back from me, Jason.
  • Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - My favorite of the Wes Anderson movies (I've been a fan since I was a senior in high school, when Bottle Rocket came out).
  • Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - blah - maybe the book was good, but the movie didn't do much for me.

hey, thanks for the reviews... we're always up for some movie input.
i must say that i had a slightly different take from junebug... thought it was more about discovering identity, roots, who you really are, for all of them, rather than, the only one who had value was the brother who left the south. to me, he was one of the most conflicted characters. maybe i misread your comment though.
also, finster is one of my favorites... he lived really close to Berry and we actually met him once... was there an explicit attempt to "use" him or did you just feel it was implied from the rural folk artist idea? you are right about the artist on the film being profane and finster was not at all... i guess that's why i didn't see as much of a connection.
whew, long comment,you should visit us and we could actually discuss in person! :) (can you let me know if you respond??)

Post a Comment